Pumpkins remind me of fall weather, cozy sweaters and holidays. They are fun to draw and can be done in just a few steps. I’ll show you my method for how to draw a pumpkin.
This simple technique is easy enough for anyone to follow. The instructions can be used to make an easy simple pumpking drawing with a digital drawing tablet or with just a pencil and paper.
It’s a great beginner drawing project. The bonus is that you’ll be able to upload your finished drawing to Cricut.
You can print the instructions and the template below. Follow this tutorial to learn how to draw a pumpkin.
After you draw one cute pumpkin, you can combine several to make a pumpkin patch drawing.
It’s even easier to draw a pumpkin patch if you follow the digital drawing instructions.
To do this, copy and paste or just duplicate the first pumpkin that you made and draw more pumpkin leaves and vines between them all.
If you want to learn how to make more digital drawings, you’ll love my So Simple SVG course.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. If you purchase any of these items using my links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Crafts to Make with Pumpkins
The nice thing about digital drawings is that they can be easily transformed into physical drawings for lots of craft projects.
Although they are most popular around Halloween, for things like funny or scary jack o lantern decorations, you can also use pumpkins for other decorations.
Here are some crafts that you can make with your easy to draw pumpkin:
Source: Chevron Lane
Those are just a few ideas to get you started. Check out my post for more ideas for beginner crafts.
You don’t have to be limited to just papercrafts.
If you have a Cricut or Silhouette machine and a heat press, you can use it to make iron-on templates for t-shirts.
How easy would it be to make a DIY Halloween costume with this pumpkin drawing?!
Try using heat transfer vinyl or adhesive vinyl to apply your drawing to hard and soft surfaces like storage containers or a baby onesie.
As you can see, you can take your drawing and transfer it to lots of physical crafts!
This is just one of the ways that you can draw for fun or start a craft business that makes money from home.
Digital Drawing Supplies
Inkscape software program
Graphic tablet (optional)
Paper Drawing Supplies
Light Table for Tracing (optional)
How to Draw a Pumpkin for Beginners
Start by assembling your materials to draw the pumpkin.
I’ll be using Inkscape, an open-source graphic software program. There is even an online drawing app version of Inkscape.
If you’re making the digital version, make sure that your settings on the calligraphy tool match mine before starting.
We’ll use the calligraphy and brush strokes tool. The settings that I use are in the instruction sheet at the bottom of the post.
To get started, draw an oval shape.
Pro Tip: If you need help drawing the oval shape, draw the letter O, draw 2 curved lines inside the letter O on the right side, draw 2 curved lines on the left side of the O.
See the picture below.
You can download the template to help you make the base of the pumpkin.
Make a Pumpkin Shape
You now have your center oval pumpkin shape in the middle of your drawing.
The next step is to draw 2 curved lines on the right side of the oval.
Then, draw 2 curved lines on the left side of the right side of the oval.
The curved lines will serve as the sections of the pumpkin.
Draw a Pumpkin From Circles
You now have one oval and 4 curved lines. The next step is to connect the lines to the oval in order to make the pumpkin.
Once you connect the lines to the oval, you can move on to the next step, drawing the stem.
Draw a Pumpkin Stem
The base of the pumpkin is complete, let’s add the stem.
Draw two parallel curved lines at the top center of the pumpkin.
Draw a horizontal curved line to connect the parallel lines.
It’s ok if the lines are not straight. In fact, it’s better if they are slightly uneven.
This gives the pumpkin stem a more natural look.
Draw a Pumpkin Leaf
Once you’re done with the stem, you’re ready to draw the leaves.
To draw a 5-sided leaf, we’ll use one continuous line with 2 bumps on the left, one bump at the top and two bumps on the right.
Make a leaf stem by drawing a vertical line at the bottom middle of the leaf.
To complete the leaf, add another vertical line inside the middle of the leaf.
Continue to draw another leaf on the right side of the stem.
Add a few curly cue designs to finish off the drawing.
The pumpkin drawing outline is complete and you can move on to coloring the outline.
Coloring the Pumpkin Drawing
You’re ready to get that pumpkin drawing colored.
To do this, use the fill bucket tool (fill bounded areas tool).
Click the fill bucket tool and then click on a color from the color menu bar at the bottom of the screen. Next, click on a section of the pumpkin to fill it with color.
Repeat this process to color in every section of the pumpkin, the stem and the leaves.
Your beautiful pumpkin drawing is done. Wasn’t that fun?!
If you liked this lesson, you’ll love my So Simple SVG Files course. I will walk you through the steps to make digital drawings using simple shapes.
You’ll also learn how to take your drawings and turn them into all kinds of craft projects.
You’ll finally be able to take that cutting machine out and put it to good use.
Look for more tips for creative craft projects that you can make easily from home.
Make sure to save this to your favorite drawing board on Pinterest.
Click the link below to save it for later.
Learn how to draw a pumpkin. This method can be used to make a digital drawing or a paper drawing.
- Digital Drawing Supplies
- Paper Drawing Supplies
- Draw an oval shape.
- Draw 2 curved lines on the right side of the oval.
- Draw 2 curved lines on the left side of the right side of the oval.
- You now have one oval and 4 curved lines.
- The next step is to connect the lines to the oval in order to make the pumpkin.
- Add the stem, to do this, draw two parallel curved lines at the top center of the pumpkin.
- Draw a horizontal curved line to connect the parallel lines.
- The next step is to draw a 5-sided leaf, we’ll use one continuous line with 2 bumps on the left, one bump at the top and two bumps on the right.
- Make a leaf stem by drawing a vertical line at the bottom middle of the leaf.
- Add another vertical line inside the middle of the leaf.
- Draw another leaf on the right side of the stem.
- Draw one curly cue design at the bottom of each leaf
- Color the pumpkin outline.
Color the pumpkin.
For a digital drawing use the fill bucket tool.
- Click the fill bucket tool and then click a section of the pumpkin.
- Click on the orange color from the color menu bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Select a pumpkin section next to the orange section that you just colored.
- Click on a darker orange color from the color menu bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Repeat this process to alternate the orange and dark orange sections.
- Use the same process to color the leaves, the stem, and the curly vines.
For a paper drawing use markers or colored pencils.
Calligraphy tool settings
Print the template to help you make the base of the pumpkin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Tombow Dual Brush Pen Art Markers (Bright)
- Canson XL Series Mix Media Paper Pad, Heavyweight, Fine Texture, Heavy Sizing for Wet and Dry Media, Side Wire Bound, 98 Pound, 7 x 10 Inch, 60 Sheets - 100510926
- AmazonBasics Sketch and Drawing Art Pencil Kit - 17-Piece Set
- Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, Soft Core, 72 Pack
- Huion H610 Pro Graphic Drawing Tablet 8192 Pen Pressure Sensitivity with Carrying Bag and Glove